Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seattle


Yeah I know this happened a while back, but I haven't really had much of a chance to write about it so it's still sitting in the system.

KB and I flew out to Seattle for her nephew's wedding. We were hoping to be able to get out and see a few things, but as most family get-togethers end up, we didn't get to do much more than walk about a mile to see this waterfall. Which I have to admit was quite beautiful, even if it lacked any sign of solitude.

To be able to see the falls, entailed nothing more than getting out of your car and walking over to the look out. The walk was about 40 yards. If you wanted to be real adventurous you could hike down to the bottom of the falls via a wide unpaved path. The path down was, if I remember right, about a 1/2 mile.

This whole scenario made me think about journeys and destinations. More importantly it made me realize that our society, in many ways, is focused on the destination. Everything we do has been to ease the journey, to eliminate the journey, to get to the destination with no work or suffering.

I admit, most people would never see these falls if they had to bushwack through five miles of thick forest. But if they did don't you think they would enjoy it that much more?

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment